- Combine Yeast and Warm Water in a large bowl, let bloom.
- Add Sugar, feeding the yeast, then eggs and evaporated milk.
- In 2 cup batches, add Birch Benders mix, mixing in the shortening between the second and third batches.
- Cover and Chill 2 to 24 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and roll out dough on a cleaned, dried and floured surface.
- Heat Peanut Oil in a high- sided cast iron dutch oven to 360°. Use a candy or fry thermometer to check temperature.
- Cut dough into 3-inch strips, and then 3-inch squares.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels, and place a cooling rack over the towels.
- Roll each square in your palms to create each hush puppy.
- Working in batches, drop rolled dough into hot oil and fry, turning occasionally, about 2 minutes, until golden-brown color is reached, checking heat to maintain temperature.
- Remove hushpuppies from fry oil with tongs or a spider, shaking gently to remove excess oil, and place on cooling rack.
- Dust with Powdered Sugar
We dipped these in our three-berry quick jam and boy were they a treat!